As a reminder, Marketsmith (by Investor’s Business Daily) is now a sponsor of the weekly show. All the charts you have been seeing in the videos and will continue to see are from Marketsmith. They are offering my readers a three week trial for $19.95. Click this link if you would like to try it out.
The headlines on Friday were all about war and Iran which got me thinking about the famous song by Edwin Starr which asks ‘War – What’s It Good For’?
Stock traders would argue – defense stocks – which hit all time highs on Friday as Iran moved from page 10 to page 1 of the news.
Ivanhoff and I did our weekly tour of the markets highlighting trends and momentum. You can watch/listen here.
Here is what stood out to Ivanhoff:
1. We saw a notable inflow in capital into emerging market stocks. The Chinese Internet ETF, KWEB gained more than 6% on Thursday and it managed to keep most of its gains during the pullback on Friday.
2. Crude oil had a big 3% gap which might be the beginning of a new trend, especially if the situation in the East escalates. Gold has also been on the rise.
3. Defense stocks ETF, XAR broke out to new all-time highs.
4. Interest rates are going down which is good news for the our debt-ridden economy.
5. Quite a few enterprise software stocks are setting up for a potential breakout: COUP, TWLO, AYX, etc.
Happy New Year and Thanks for watching/reading.
I am going to see how this new front page news moves the markets for a few days before I do much of anything.
Have a great week.